Friday, August 14, 2009

Busy Day

As you are now probably aware, Friday's are my Sundays.I can sleep in a little bit since breakfast doesn't start until 8:00 rather than 6:30. Rasheed did his usual job on the Friday morning pancakes. I don't know if mine were fresh or "off the pile". Anyway they were still warm. As we were sitting outside, Chris passed the "sugar water" that we call syrup. The label proclaims "2% real maple syrup". I think at home we would translate that to say "with real maple syrup flavoring" or something of that ilk.

We had a very nice service at church this morning. Allison Lee, one of our friends from the US Embassy was baptized. The Nigerian choir was in its usual fine form and we had a good time of worship together. The headmaster from the International School was back from holiday so I was able to introduce myself to him and his wife. They invited Joe Zimmerman and me to join them for lunch after church but I already had plans to meet up with the crew for chinese at 1:00.

The gang assembled in the lobby and we strolled down the block to the chinese restaurant. Lynn and I had been to the one on Gargarsh the first week we arrived but this one is next to the Shell Oil housing. The menu was ample and they had a soup that was divine; kind of like a mix of egg drop soup with tofu, vegetables and maybe sliced almonds. It had a smokey taste. I would love their recipe.

Afternoon was time to crash and relax. James and Jane Shanks had invited me over to their apartment for a home cooked meal of pot roast. Joe came by and picked me up so we enjoyed a great time of food, visiting and playing with their three dogs, one chihuahua and two pomeranians. Cute but getting pudgy.

I planned on meeting everyone on the roof to watch the stars fall (meteor shower) but by 10:00 no one was one the roof and clouds were starting to roll in from the coast.

All in all a very nice start to the weekend. I'd better finish up and call my Dad. Today is his 83rd birthday! Happy Birthday Dad!!!.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice day Rick. Worship, food, friends....and dogs,too! Happy birthday to sweet Chuck. We miss you Rick.

    ReplyDelete