Sunday, August 9, 2009

More Malta


OK - here's the crew that I mentioned at Restorante Alphonso. Now be truthful; isn't that a group of guys that you'd like to hang out with, even if they didn't speak your language?

The last photo is a night shot from the Upper Barracca Gardens in Valletta looking back at the Prime Minister Offices. I'm going to post some pictures in several albums from the trip, one from the Wine Festival, one of my favorites is at the St. James Cavalier; originally St. James was built to act as a raised platform on which guns were placed to defend the city against attacks from the land (Floriana) side. As well as prohibiting entry, St. James could also threaten those who had already breached the city's defenses. It went through several transformations during the British rule but has now been converted into The Centre for Creativity-Malta's Millennium Project.


It has integrated many of the original spaces into an exhibition space, music room, children's activity space and cafe. I hope you like the pictures of the spaces (especially you Ryan Booth). I only wish that I had Ryan's creativity and camera to do it justice. I learned that the City is transforming the entry gate into Valletta into a new space. I've seen pictures and it will be a spectacular, designed by Renzo Piano, who is also a designer of the Meniel Collection in Houston.

Oh, did I mention that I attended the Delicata Classic Wine Festival? They had a wonderful selection of Maltese wines which I was obliged to sample. The aforementioned gardens was a beautiful place to host the event, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea, with fountains, a sampling of local Maltese food and an Oriental booth for those who wanted more than fruit and cheese or Maltanese fare. The band was very entertaining and energetic. Now if I had just had my beautiful wife with me, I’d probably closed the place down before jumping on the bus back to St. Julian. However, since she was back home, I called it a night around 10 pm.


The next time, I'm taking the woman of my dreams (yes Lynn, that's always you!!!)


1 comment:

  1. Honey,

    You are becoming the most amazing photographer, so creative, which is that special side of you I love. Beautiful pictures, I love them, and I will certainly be by your side for that next trip. I love you very much, Lynn

    ReplyDelete