Thursday, August 6, 2009

Weekend in Malta

Yea! It's the weekend (Thursday night - Saturday) and I caught the 5:00 pm flight to Malta. I called ahead to the Hotel Juliani where we stayed previously because they had told us to not use Expedia but just give them a call and they woud give us a good rate. When I called the other day, they quoted me a 130 euro/night rate, which seemed high. They didn't request a credit card so I just let it go and figured that I would discuss it with them when I arrived but since it's the high season, I could get stuck. When I checked in, I inquired about the rate and reminded them of what they had told us last time. The girl quickly said, I'll change the rate to 88 Euros/night and confirm with the manager since you called in. Not bad for soft negotiations.
The last time that Lynn and I were here, we asked the front desk for a restaurant recommendation and they sent us to the Barracuda. It was a good quality place but way too stuffy for us after working all week. We should have had on suit and tie to fit in with the "in crown" there. It turned out that the Barracuda is where the glitteratzi go when they are in town. This time, it was my objective to find a hole in th wall Italian restaurant that wasn't on the tourist map. I struck out from the hotel and satrted wandering the streets away form the St. Julian's inlet and back into residential neighborhoods. I followed a group of people but ended up at a dead end that looked like a youth hostel or student hotel. I turned around and headed back doen the street and on the otherside noticed a little place, no one inside, but a fixed price menue on the door; three courses for 15 Euro. I figured that at that price, I couldn't go wrong. It\s kind of hard to burn the spagetti. I went in and was greeted by a young kid, who looded like he was 15-17. He spoke English but had an Italian accent.
I asked him where he would like for me to sit, he looked around, no one elst there and motioned me to a table near the dooor and asked if that would be ok. I assured him that it would be fine. About then, in waltzed, Max, the proprietor. He started talking rapidly in Italian the waiter explained to me that he spoke no English. Max brought me a copy of the fixed price menu for the day and left. I ordered a glass of their house red ( a wonderful Maltese Falcon; blend of cabs, merlot and syarah grapes) as I purused the menu. I decided that when in Rome,do what the Romans do and ordered the mozzerella chesse and tomato salad for the first course and told the waiter to have the chef pick something for the second and third course.
Course One:
The first course was predictable. Roma tomatos, mozzerella cheese balls sprinkled with dried basil. I asked for some ground pepper and he brought a pepper mill to the table. As he ledt I started grinding and all I got was . . . nothing. I called him back, explained the situation and he brought me another with no further problems. Add a little balsalmic vinegar, ground pepper, maltese bread and we were off to a good start.
Course Two:
I should have pulled out my camera right there. A plate full of spagetti piled high with tomatoes, clams and mussels steamed to perfection. My mouth is watering just remembering them. I quickly dug in. As I was eating, I noticed a large table in the corner that was set for 8-10 people. My you waiter, being the only other person taht I could see in the room, kept flitting ove to the table checking to see that everything was in order. I noticed the door open and a couple Max's, the owner, frinds started coming in. They looked me over as the came in and drifted over to the table set in the corner. Max greeted them and they would come and go, go back to the kitchen, walk out fornt for a smoke or talk on the phone while I gobbled down my seafood and pasta.
Course Three:
It was about time to get a refill on my wine so Max just brought the bottle over to the table and set it down. The next course was tomatoes and greeens salad and a wonderfully prepared steak! We're talking 10 oz. of honest to goodness delight. Taking my time, I savored the wine, the steak, the beautiful Italian conversation at the other table as their food and wine was starting to be consumed. I asked my waiter if he qould inquire of Max if I could take a picture of him and his friends. Being Italian, I never doubted what the answer would be. They hammed and posed as I got a group shot.
Conclusion:
After a cappichino, which my young waiter sheepishly admitted that he had never made before (it was quite good) I paid mybill and asked the waiter if he would translate for Max and his friends. I told them thank you for allowing me to share t=dinner with them and for good food and good friends.
When in Malta, please visit Restorante Alfonso!!! I recommend it highly. Now to sleep off all this food.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! Ken was licking his lips until I got to the steak part. Oh well...have fun this weekend and don't let them cut your hair too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your adventure, Dad. I was hanging on every word as you described your meal. Hope to go back to Restorante Alfonso with you some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you were making SOOO hungry! Can't wait to scarf down some Italian food with you soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete