Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Night in Tripoli

While the rest of you are heading into your afternoon and trying to see what you've got ahead of you this week, I'm headed to bed and then "hump-day" as we head toward the weekend. This week has been crazy with meetings, meeting and more meetings. I haven't been out to any of my projects in several weeks and am starting to fell that I am neglecting them. I do finally have CM/CS (for you not in the lingo, that's Construction Management/Construction Supervision) for all three projects. Only one is under contract but at least they are showing up.

I have been trying to explain to my mentor partners the difference between project management and program management; one is where you are doing tasks and managing tasks the other is when you become a people manager, managing the people who are in charge of the tasks, focusing them on the goals and objectives while you manage multiple project teams. I was fortunate enough to have a mentor explain to me the difference when I was in my 30's and it made sense. Now I'm trying to pass that along to the next generation. Maybe thats when you achieve the next level of management. Who knows.

I'm going back to Gharyan tomorrow. This time with a driver who has the purpose of getting us to a meeting with our client & on time, not a side trip adventure as before.

Maybe I can finish the week with only 4 or 5 more meetings. Oh well, there's always the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. No more exploring the blue roads Rick! Sounds like you have a big week ahead of you and will need the weekend to recover!! Hate that we missed the conference call this morning...Lv, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great day tomorrow, Honey !! Your blog is great, and I love hearing about your day while we're apart.

    I love you very much, Lynn

    ReplyDelete