Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday (my Saturday) morning in Malta

The breakfast buffet at the Hotel Juliani is a comfortable spread (especially since they comped it). The best thing is they have ham! I feel like the dog on the commercial, "I smell bacon. Bacon,bacon, bacon." Ham is close enough.
It's hot on the island, and why not, it is August. There appear to be a lot of tourists around but not like you might expect. The last time we were here, the cab dirver said that tourism is off 60%. A lot of shops have SALE signs in the window; something that is uncommon in Tripoli. I didn't buy anything more than a map of the Islands since we returned Ellen Johnson's to her.
I was plannig to just get something light for lunch but passed a Burger King. Now I have my rules about eating fast food most of the time and when I am in another country, it is just against my core beliefs to buy into the American fast food export. However; I got to thinking that when I am in Libya, and it's probably going to be until around the 20th of September before I leave the country again, I can't get a real hamburger, fast food or not. So I indulged - - - and I don't feel a bit guilty about it either.
Pictures when I get back to Tripoli (but not of the hamburger).



The barber shop opens again at 2:30 pm, after their noon break, so I'm heading over there to get a "trim".

No comments:

Post a Comment